Flat Italian oven-baked bread with Kalamata olives
You will need (makes focaccia 20 x 20 cm):
275 g strong bread flour
175 g water
12 g fresh yeast
a pinch of salt
2 tbsp olive oil
For the topping:
1 tbsp olive oil
a good handful of Kalamata olives (large purple Greek olives)
1. Sift the flour into a big mixing bowl. Add the salt. Mix well.
2. Add the fresh yeast to the lukewarm water, dissolve. Add it to the flour, and the olive oil too.
3. Combine the ingredients well, then knead for 6 to 8 mins. The dough should be smooth and elastic.
4. Oil a baking pan (I used a square pyrex, you can use a round one if you prefer), put in the dough and stretch with your fingers toward the edges.
5. Cover with a tea towel and let it rise for 30 mins.
6. While the dough is rising, preheat the oven to 200°C.
7. When the dough is rested/risen enough make holes in it with your fingertips. Brush with olive oil and place whole olives into the holes (pitted or with stones). I put an olive into each hole but you can fill up half of the holes to make it lighter to rise higher when bakes.
8. Bake in the oven for 20 to 25 mins. I like mine with a golden crispy shell. Enjoy!
Allergy: Gluten, Yeast. No dairy. No egg. No sugar. No nut.
More focaccia ideas:
Wholemeal rosemary focaccia
Focaccia smoked salmon bites