Filling curry with chickpeas and potatoes
You will need:
3/4 cup chickpeas
450 g small potatoes
1 medium onion
1+1 bay leaf
3 spring onions
a handful of young spinach leaves
a small bunch of flat-leaf parsley
1 scant tbsp whole black mustard seeds
1 scant tbsp whole cumin seeds
1/2 tbsp whole fennel seeds
1/2 tsp whole coriander seeds
1+2 cloves of garlic
an inch of fresh ginger root
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp coconut oil
1. Wash the chickpeas and soak them overnight. Next day wash them again and with plenty of fresh water bring to boil. Add 1 garlic clove halved and 1 bay leaf. Reduce to simmer, cover loosely and simmer for 45 mins. Let in cool in the cooking liquid.
2. Heat a wide bottomed pan or pot to medium heat add seeds in whole (mustard, cumin, coriander, fennel), roast them for a minute or two.
3. Add oil and after a minute or so add finely chopped onions too. Cook for another minute or two.
4. Add potato: small ones quartered, bigger ones cut into 8 pieces, leave the skin on.
5. Toss the potatoes for a few minutes then add a bit of water just enough to let them sit in some liquid. Add the bay leaf. Bring to boil, then reduce to simmer, put a lid on a gently cook for 6 to 8 mins.
6. Add finely chopped garlic and ginger.
7. Add drained chickpeas. Season with ground turmeric and black pepper. Cook for a further 5 to 8 mins.
8. Gently fold in the spinach leaves, sliced spring onions and chopped parsley. Cover with the lid again and let it rest for further 5 mins.
9. Serve hot with rice. Enjoy!