The well-blended combination of spices make this dal wonderful
I worship dals. Simple yet irresistible. You can make dal with just a few ingredients or with over a dozen. Dals have layers and depths. The more you make the more you want to experiment with the seasoning. Here is one:
You will need:
1 cup red lentils
1 tsp whole black mustard seeds
1 tsp whole cumin seeds
1/2 tsp whole coriander seeds
1/3 tsp whole fennel seeds
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1 medium onion
2 cloves of garlic (optional)
1 cm fresh ginger root
1 bay leaf
few pinches of freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp coconut oil
1. Wash the lentils well, in plenty of water, several times, until water stays clear. Drain and pat the bottom of the sieve dry.
2. Heat the oil in a heavy pan. Add the seeds: black mustard, cumin, coriander and fennel. When the mustard seeds start to pop add turmeric, bay leaf, finely chopped onion, garlic and ginger. Cook for a minute or two.
3. Add well drained lentils and cook stirring for 3 to 4 mins.
4. Add 3 cups of water. Bring to boil, then reduce to simmer, loosely cover with a lid and gently cook for 30 to 45 mins. Season with black pepper (to taste).
5. For easy dinner, serve over rice. Enjoy!
Tips: To make it a delicious feast complement with quinoa rice and rosemary sweet potato.