Filling vegan dish which satisfies your senses
Stimulating colour, aroma, flavour, and texture - curry from scratch.
You will need:
1 medium butternut squash
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp black mustard seeds
1 tsp whole cumin seeds
1/2 tsp whole coriander seeds
1/4 tsp whole fennel seeds
1 bay leaf
1 cm of fresh ginger root, tiny sliced
1 clove of garlic, tiny sliced
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1 large onion
freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
a pinch of coarse salt
1 heaped tbsp creamed coconut
a handful of cashew nuts
1 to 1.5 cup cooked chickpeas
fresh coriander leaves (cilantro) to garnish
1. Peel and clean the butternut squash and cut into cubes.
2. In a wide bottomed pan heat the oil, add the mustard seeds and the cumin seeds. Just when the mustard starts to pop add the coriander and fennel seeds, the bay leaf and the fresh ginger. Fry for a minute or two.
3. Add cubed butternut squash and a splash of water to dissolve the creamed coconut (you can use ground cashew nuts instead). Bring to boil then reduce to simmer.
4. Add diced onions and whole cashews. Season with turmeric and garlic. Put a lid on and simmer gently until the butternut squash is tender (around 15 mins).
5. Add cooked, well drained chickpeas (I always cook a big batch and keep it in the fridge with the cooking liquid, ready to use in soups, curries or salads), season with black pepper and salt, and cook for further 2 to 3 mins.
6. Serve into bowls, garnish with coriander leaves, and serve with basmati rice. Enjoy!
Allergy: Mustard, Nut. No gluten. No dairy. No egg. No soya.
More curry recipe ideas:
Butternut squash coconut curry
Butternut squash red pepper curry
Chickpea and potato curry