Saturday 30 May 2015

Grow your own - Herbs

Grow_your_own_Herbs
Little garden on the balcony

Early this week I have started the project of little gardening on my balcony to grow my own herbs. I have sowed parsley, coriander (cilantro) and rosemary. Yesterday the rest of the compost has arrived and I have put thyme and dill seeds into the soil. Two extra potted herbs, mint and cilantro have been also planed. I need one or two more pots for my lavender and chamomile.

I am watering the soil every evening and hoping for a quick germination and a favorable weather to nurture my plants into happy and healthy herbs. Join me, let's grow our own herbs!

Parsley
  • Sow outside: March - May
  • Spacing: 30 cm x 5 cm
  • Harvest: July - September
  • Slow to germinate

Coriander (cilantro)
  • Annual
  • Sow outside: March - July
  • Spacing: 30 cm x 15 cm
  • Harvest: May - September
  • Leaves can be cut as required

Rosemary
  • Perennial, hardy evergreen shrub
  • Sow under glass: March - April
  • Plant out: September - October
  • Spacing: 90 cm
  • Harvest: January - December
  • Slow to germinate
  • Requires well drained soil in sunny, sheltered position

Thyme
  • Low evergreen bush with pretty pink flowers
  • Renew every 3 or 4 years as it becomes woody and loses flavour
  • Show under glass: March - April
  • Sow outside: May - June
  • Plant out: June- July
  • Spacing: 30 cm x 20 cm
  • Harvest: May - November

Dill
  • Annual
  • Germination takes 2-4 weeks
  • Show under glass: February - March
  • Sow outside: April - June
  • Plant out: April - May
  • Spacing: 30 cm x 20 cm
  • Harvest: May - September (leaves spring/summer, seeds autumn)

No comments:

Post a Comment