Melt-in-the-mouth stew with minted pea and garlic green beans
Green peas and green beans are great company to this ox cheek stew. I have rocked the pea with fresh mint leaves, and invigorated the beans with mustard and garlic. The stew is loaded with fresh garlic and uplifting ginger. The gravy is rich, the meat is soft and moist.
It needed a serious muscle work to prepare the meat, the cutting was mean, and I was sure that I won't be bothered to buy any more ox cheeks in the future, but the end product swept me off my feet. I was amazed how good tasting, meltingly tender it became! Surely there will be more ox cheek meat on the menu.
For the ox cheek stew will need (feeds 3 to 4 people):
600 g ox cheek
4 medium onions
1 tbsp coconut oil
2 + 2 wet garlic cloves
1 + 1 cm fresh ginger
1/2 tbsp ground cumin seeds
1/3 tbsp ground caraway seeds
1/3 tsp ground turmeric
pinch of ground cinnamon
good pinch coarse Himalayan rock salt
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. In a thick bottomed, wide pan melt the coconut oil. Add the sliced up onions. Cook on low heat for 4 to 5 mins.
2. Add the ox cheeks sliced into bite sized pieces. Cover with a lid and let it sweat out the juice. Cook for 5 to 7 mins.
3. Season: cumin, caraway, turmeric, cinnamon, salt, minced garlic (2 cloves), minced ginger (1 cm), mix well. Add filtered water to just cover the meat. Bring to boil, then reduce to minimum and braise slow and long, for 60 to 90 mins.
4. When the water has reduced and the gravy has thickened, season with thinly sliced garlic (remaining 2 cloves), thinly sliced ginger (remaining 1 cm), and freshly ground black pepper. Cook for further 3 to 4 mins. Done!
For the minted green pea mash you will need:
250-300 g green peas
1 sprig fresh mint leaves
1 tbsp ghee
1. Put the peas into a pan, add water to cover. Bring to boil, then reduce the heat and gently simmer until peas are cooked.
2. Drain the excess water. Add roughly chopped mint leaves and ghee. With a hand held blender blend until creamy.
For the steamed garlic green beans you will need:
200 g green beans
2 garlic cloves
1/4 tsp mustard powder
2 tbsp olive oil
1. Steam the green beans until tender.
2. Mix the mustard powder with the olive oil, add minced garlic, drizzle over the seamed green beans. Serve hot. Enjoy!
[i] For more GAPS recipe ideas please visit my GAPS recipes selection.