Creamy dairy-free, vegan ice cream with plum and nectarine sauce
Summer is ice cream time. Summer is fruit time. Fruit ice cream is summer time. This ice cream does not contain dairy, egg, or added sugar, sweetener of any kind, yet it is super sweet which is toned down with slightly sour fruit sauce. Terrific combination, if you ask me, and there is no need for ice-cream machine.
You will need (feeds 4):
2 very ripe bananas (brown spots on their skin, the browner, the better)
1 very ripe mango
a good handful of cashew nuts
1. Peel and slice the bananas, peel and dice the mango flesh, and put them in the freezer overnight (in separate bags).
2. Soak the cashew nuts overnight.
3. Take the fruit out of the freezer, let them rest on the kitchen counter for 15 to 20 mins
4. Put drained cashew nuts into a mixer and pulse until creamy.
5. Add fruit and pulse until smooth and creamy.
6. Put ice cream mix into a glass container and place it into the freezer for 30 to 45 mins, until it starts to freeze around the edges.
7. Take it out, stir well. Repeat the process twice or three more times until the mix is smooth.
8. Freeze the ice cream for 3 hours or until set.
4 ripe plums (soft, sweet, with dark purple skin)
4 ripe nectarines (soft, sweet, with dark purple skin)
1. Cut the fruit in half, discard the seeds, and dice the flesh.
2. Put diced fruit in a pan, add a splash of water, and bring to boil. Cover with a lid and let it gently simmer for 30 to 45 mins, shaking the pan few times. Keep the lid on, it will sputter.
3. Take the pan off the heat, let it cool to room temperature.
4. If using next day, keep the sauce in the fridge in a glass jar.
1. Take the ice cream out of the freezer for 10 to 15 mins before serving.
2. Warm the ice cream scoop. Scoop out ice cream into bowls.
3. Pour some plum and nectarine sauce on top. Serve. Enjoy!
[i] For more GAPS recipe ideas please visit my GAPS recipes selection.