Bored with the savoury egg options for breakfast?
Me too! Let's make pancakes then. For this particular one you will need only two simple ingredients: bananas and eggs. It is a dairy-free, sugar-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, yeast-free, and soya-free pancake batter. Choose fresh, organic, free-range eggs and very, VERY ripe bananas, with brown spots on their skin. This will make the pancakes super sweet, so you won't be needing any additional sweeteners (like honey or soaked dates).
You will need (makes 25-30):
2 medium eggs
1 medium very ripe banana
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 medium very ripe banana, and
1/3 tsp ground cinnamon, to serve
1. Peel the banana (the skin should have brown spots, when most of the starches are converted into sugars), and cream it into a paste with hand blender.
2. Crack the eggs (taken out of the fridge 30 mins earlier) and add them to the banana puree. Blend (on slow setting first, then on full power) until the batter is smooth and fluffy.
3. Heat the pan to medium-low heat. Brush with coconut oil. With the help of a tablespoon add 1 tbsp batter into the pan one by one. Depending on your pan size you can fit 4, 6, or 8 little pancakes.
4. Flit the pancakes after 30 seconds and cook the other sides too.
5. Add the next batch, then the next one until you use up all the batter. Brush the pan with coconut oil in-between when needed.
6. Cut a banana in half, lengthwise. Leave the skin on, it will make the cutting easier. Brush the pan with coconut oil, and place the banana halves in the pan, cut side down. Gently cook for 3 to 4 mins.
7. Arrange pancakes on a plate. Place cooked banana on top, finally sprinkle with ground cinnamon. Enjoy!
Allergy: Egg. No gluten. No grain. No dairy. No nut. No sugar. Vegetarian.
[i] For more GAPS recipe ideas please visit my GAPS recipes selection.