Creamy red lentil soup, vegan and gluten-free
No doubt, red lentil soup is my favourite winter soup. You can pair any veg with it, cooks quickly and it is fabulously filling. Super simple, super quick, super tasty.
You will need:
1 small leek
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 cup red lentils
2 cloves of garlic
1 heaped tsp fresh ginger root, finely chopped
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp each whole coriander seed, cumin seed
fresh coriander leaves (cilantro), to serve
1. Slice the leek and shallots and soften with the coconut oil.
2. Add the seed a cook for a few minutes util the aroma is released.
3. Add the ginger and garlic, give it a good stir.
4. Add the well washed and drained red lentils.
Wash it in plenty of water in a bowl (not in a strainer) until the water stays clean. Drain well.
5. Add water, 2 to 3 inches to cover. Put a lid on and bring to boil. When in boils, reduce the heat, and gently bubble for 15 mins.
6. Add the peeled and sliced carrots and some more water (if needed) to cover the veg. Bring to boil again. Season with turmeric, reduce the heat and gently simmer for 10 to 12 mins.
7. Blend the soup with a hand blender. Serve with a splash of hemp seed oil and fresh coriander leaves. Enjoy!
Allergy: No gluten. No dairy. No egg. No nuts.