Glowing autumn pears, juicy, aromatic, full of life
Pears are perfect to be jellied into a simple but glorious autumn treat. Made with minimal ingredients, no sugar at all, only a dab of honey to flavour not to sweeten (ripe, fragrant pears are naturally sweet on their own), and invigorating ginger for a little fire.
You will need:
4 medium pears
1 cm fresh ginger root
1 tbsp gelatin powder
1 tbsp honey
1 cup filtered water (250 ml)
1. Wash the pears, peel them, then quarter, cut out the cores, slice them up.
2. Peel the ginger and slice very finely.
3. Put the pears in a saucepan, add the ginger and the water. Bring to boil, then reduce to simmer and gently cook for 4 to 5 mins.
4. Blend with a hand blender until smooth.
5. Pour the mixture through a sieve to remove the bits for a smooth jelly.
6. Mix the gelatin powder with a little water, room temperature, stir to dissolve, then add to the gingered pear.
7. Let it cool down from hot to warm only, then mix in the honey.
8. Pour into a square glass container, let it cool down completely, and refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours before cutting into cubes. Enjoy!
Tip: For VEGAN version use algae, agar-agar or carrageen instead of gelatin, and maple syrup instead of honey.
[i] For more GAPS recipe ideas please visit my GAPS recipes selection.