Cheesy grain-free crackers with aromatic fresh thyme
I use a lot of thyme (probably you have already guessed). Since exploring the GAPS I have cut back on seed-spices and compensating with more fresh herbs.
I prefer savoury over sweet so eliminating all gluten-free grains was, wait, still is a bit of a challenge when it comes to savoury baked snacks.
Almond and coconut is the flour, well, on GAPS anyway, although I think in moderation is the best to enjoy the two, these are the base of my Cheddar crackers, seasoned with fresh thyme, and they turned out beautifully, so pleased, and it is just the beginning.
You will need:
2 tbsp ground almond (25 g)
2 tbsp tahini (35 g)
3 tbsp coconut flour (35 g)
65 g Cheddar cheese, finely grated
a good pinch of coarse Himalayan rock salt
2 or 3 whole black peppercorns
a good pinch of whole caraway seed
1 heaped tbsp fresh thyme leaves
1. Put the ground almond and the coconut flour in a blender and pulse for 15 to 20 seconds. Add the tahini and the egg and blend for a few seconds until well combined.
2. Put the coarse salt, the whole peppercorns and the caraway seeds in a mortar and crush them into a fine powder.
3. Transfer the egg-almond mixture into a mixing bowl, season with the crushed spices.
4. Fold in the grated Cheddar cheese, finally the fresh thyme leaves.
5. Shape the sticky dough into a ball, place it on a baking paper, flatten a little, then cover with an another baking paper, and roll the dough between the two baking papers to a thickness of 2 to 3 mm.
6. Gently peel off the top baking paper, discard. With a sharp knife cut up the thin dough into diamond shapes pressing the knife's edge into the dough to make incisions. This step will help you to keep the baked crackers in shapes you want instead of breaking into little or large pieces when baked.
7. Slide the baking paper onto a baking tray and place the tray into a preheated oven and cook on 150 C for about 15 to 20 mins, until the edges start to turn golden. Carefully brake off the edges and put the baking tray back for another 3 to 5 mins.
8. Let the crackers cool down completely. Share. Enjoy!
Allergy: Dairy. Egg. Nut. No gluten. No grain. No sugar. VEGETARIAN.
[i] For more GAPS recipe ideas please visit my GAPS recipes selection.