Crunchy, raw side dish made from cabbage and carrots
This little salad is perfect with any meat dish, it will bring crunch, saltiness and acidic taste with a slightly fruity note to the meal.
You will need:
1 small to medium head red cabbage
4 young carrots
2 tsp coarse Himalayan rock salt
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
4 tbsp olive oil
1. Discard the outer layers of the cabbage, quarter, discard the tough core, slice into thin strips.
2. Put the cabbage strips into a large enough glass bowl. Sprinkle with the salt and start to knead.
3. Knead for 10 mins, until softens. Let it rest for another 10 mins to draw more juices out.
4. Peel and julienne the carrots, and add the to the salty cabbage. Knead thoroughly for a minute or two.
5. Squeeze out the salty juice, discard (you can leave it in the salad but it would make it too salty).
6. Season with a bit of apple cider vinegar, and smother with olive oil. Served alongside meats. Enjoy!
Tips: You can add thinly sliced red onions or a bit of honey if you like for more crunch and a bit of sweetness. Add them with the oil.
[i] For more GAPS recipe ideas please visit my GAPS recipes selection.