Grain-free biscuits sweetened only with plump dates
Following the GAPS diet does not mean that sweets are off the menu. There are plenty of baked sweet little things that a GAPS person can enjoy. These date biscuits are just one of them. No grain, no sugar, not even egg or dairy, which means: also VEGAN.
You will need (makes min. 25):
2 1/2 cup ground almonds (blanched, no skin)
a pinch of fine Himalayan rock salt
1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
a wee pinch of ground cinnamon
1/2 cup coconut oil
5 Medjool dates
1. In a large bowl mix ground almonds, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon.
2. Melt the coconut oil and drizzle over the almond mix. Mix to form a crumble-like texture.
3. Mash the pitted dates (you can finely chop them but they will stick together anyway), and add to the bowl. Knead a little to form the dough.
4. Wrap the dough into a piece of baking paper, roll under your palms to form a log. Close the ends and put the dough into the freezer for 45 mins to firm up.
5. Unwrap the dough and cut into 4 mm thick slices.
6. Arrange them on a baking tray lined with baking paper and bake in a preheated oven at 150 °C fan setting (170 °C) for about 15 to 20 mins, until golden.
7. Let them cool. Share and enjoy!
Allergy: Nut. No dairy. No egg. No gluten. No grain. No Sugar. VEGAN.
[i] For more GAPS recipe ideas please visit my GAPS recipes selection.
Recipe adapted: Pecan Shortbread Cookies