Eat well and feel good with rice, beans and veg
• quinoa rice
• mung bean dal
• cauliflower and okra curry
For the mung bean dal you will need:
1 cup mung beans
1 bay leaf
1 medium onion
2 cloves of garlic
half inch fresh ginger
1/3 tsp ground turmeric
1. Soak the beans for 24 hours (change water after 12 hours!).
2. Rub the beans gently between your palms to release the skin. The skin will float, the bean will sink.
Tips: The longer you soak the beans the more easy is to remove the skin. After 12 hours the skin will split. After 24 hours the skin will loosen. After 36 hours the skin will fall off easily.
If you do not bothered by the skin cook straight after overnight soaking.
If you do not want to spend time on soaking and rubbing buy split mung dal.
3. Put well washed and drained beans into a pan. Cover with water two inches above the beans.
4. Add bay leaf, halved garlic cloves and ginger, and the quartered onion. Bring to boil.
5. Reduce to simmer, cover loosely and gently simmer for 30 to 35 mins.
6. Discard bay leaf, garlic, ginger and onion.
7. Add turmeric and cook for 5 mins. Remove from heat and let it stand for 5 mins.
Tips: Optionally, enrich dal with fried spices like whole cumin, mustard, fennel and coriander seeds.
For the cauliflower and okra curry you will need:
1 medium sized cauliflower
3 good handful of fresh okra
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp creamed coconut
a handful of cashew nuts
1 tsp whole cumin seed
2 cloves of garlic
1. Gently fry the cumin seed in the coconut oil.
2. Add cauliflower (washed, florets quartered) and roast until lightly browned here and there.
3. Add cashew nuts, thinly sliced garlic and sliced okra too.
4. Add a cup of water and also the creamed coconut. Bring to boil. Reduce to simmer. Cover with a lid and cook for 8 to 10 mins.
For the quinoa rice you will need:
3/4 cup white basmati rice
1/4 cup white quinoa
1 green cardamom pod
1. Wash the rice well until the water stays clear in the bowl. Drain. Wash quinoa too, and drain.
2. Put rice and quinoa into a pan. Add 2 1/4 cups of filtered water and bring to boil.
3. Reduce to simmer, add cardamom pod, cover with a lid and gently cook for 12 mins.
4. Take the quinoa rice off the heat and let it stand for 5 mins.
To serve: Fluff up rice with a fork. Put rice, cauliflower, beans on the plate. Add sliced avocado and sprinkle with chia seeds. Enjoy!
Allergy: Nut. No gluten. No dairy. No egg.
You may want to try these:
The eat well plate No.3 - Quinoa, lentil, broccoli, carrot salad;
The eat well plate No.2 - Kichadi, green beans, asparagus, avocado;
The eat well plate No.1 - Rice, sweet potato, broad beans, broccoli;