Thick red lentil soup with carrots and butternut squash
You will need:
1 cup red lentils
1 small(ish) butternut squash
2 medium carrots
1 medium onion
2 or 3 cloves of garlic
2 tbsp coconut oil
1/2 tsp whole coriander seeds
1/2 tsp whole cumin seeds
an inch fresh ginger
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1. Put red lentils in a bowl and wash them well, until water stays clear. Drain well and set aside.
2. Heat the pot on medium heat, add cumin and coriander seeds and gently roast till the firsts start to pop. Put seeds in a mortar and crush them. Set aside.
3. Melt the oil, add finely chopped onions, fry until translucent. Add minced garlic and crushed seeds. Fry for a minute or two.
4. Add well drained red lentils. Fry for 3 to 4 mins.
5. Add 3 cups of water, bring to boil, then reduce to simmer. Season with bay leaf, minced ginger and ground turmeric. Put a lid on and cook for 10 to 15 mins.
6. Add diced carrots and butternut squash and cook for 8 to 10 mins, or until veg are tender.
7. Serve into soup plates, sprinkle with hulled hemp seeds. Enjoy!
Allergy: No gluten. No dairy.
You may also like:
Red lentil, carrot and quinoa soup