Humble meatball soup with potatoes and fragrant dill
The fresh dill is the key and the soul of this soup so please use it generously.
You will need:
500 g minced meat
750 g potatoes
a big bunch of fresh dill
1 medium onion
2 cloves of garlic
freshly ground black pepper
a bay leaf
1. Mince the meat (I like the chicken thighs, no skin).
2. Finely chop the onion and garlic, then add to the minced meat. Season with freshly ground black pepper and half of the dill, finely chopped.
3. Add the lightly beaten egg. Mix well. Form balls by taking 1 tbsp of the meat mix.
4. Boil filtered water, about 2 to 3 litres in a pot. When the water is gently boiling add the meat balls one by one, arranging them in a single layer. Add the bay leaf and gently boil for 10 to 15 mins.
5. Peel and dice the potatoes into bite size pieces, then add them to the soup. Cover loosely with a lid and gently cook for further 10 to 15 mins.
6. Serve broth into bowl and sprinkle generously with chopped fresh dill. Enjoy!
Allergy: Egg. No gluten. No dairy.
Tips: You can add few celery sticks for extra flavour or you can use a vegetable broth as a base if it feels too light for you. I like just as it is. It is light and refreshing.