Crispy pizza slices with Mediterranean toppings
Home made pizza? Sure! So versatile with toppings that you never get bored and everyone can find their favorite.
For the pizza dough you will need:
200 g plain flour
100 g stoneground strong wholemeal flour
12 g fresh yeast
195 ml lukewarm water
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp olive oil (optional)
1. In a large bowl mix the two flours and salt together.
2. Dissolve the yeast in 3 or 4 tbsp of water.
3. Add yeast, water to the flour. Mix well.
4. Start to knead. Knead for 6 to 8 mins.
5. Cover with tea towel and let it rise to double it's size (about 30 to 45 mins).
For the tomato sauce you will need:
450 g ripe tomatoes
2 medium onions
2 cloves of garlic
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
1 tbsp dried thyme
1/2 tbsp dried rosemary
3 tbsp olive oil
1. Core the tomatoes and blend them in a blender with the onion and garlic.
2. Add olive oil and tomato into a pan, season with herbs and bring to boil.
3. Cover with a lid, reduce to simmer and gently cook for 30 to 45 mins, stirring occasionally.
To assemble the pizza:
1. Gently knead out the air from the dough, adding the olive oil, if using.
2. Cut the dough in half and roll out the first one. The thinner the bread is the crispier the crust gets in the oven.
3. Spread the tomato pasta and add the toppings: red onion, sweet pointed pepper, cherry tomatoes, sundried tomato, Kalamata olives, mozzarella di bufala. Sprinkle with dried oregano and basil.
I like to use 2 to 3 tbsp of Cheddar cheese on the tomato sauce, but this is totally optional.
4. Bake in preheated oven at 220 C until crust is crisp. Enjoy!
Allergy: gluten, dairy, yeast. Please note, mozzarella is not a vegetarian cheese, it is made using animal rennet.
Tips: Kids love pizza. Cut pizza slices into strips for easy handling. Pit the olives for toddler's safety.