An absolutely 'free from' Sunday roast
Juicy chicken breast (roasted with bones and skin) served with oven-roasted cauliflower and fried cavolo nero, just the way I like it! Simple, glorious meal.
You will need (serves 3 to 4):
breast of a 2 kg chicken, with bones and skin (important for flavour!)
6 tbsp coconut oil
dried rosemary, thyme
1 large head cauliflower
200 g cavolo nero (black kale) leaves
coarse Himalayan rock salt
2 or 3 whole black peppercorns (omit for AIP)
1. When you are cutting up a whole chicken (legs detached, wings removed) separate breast from back. Keep breast as one piece on the bones and with skin on. Freeze the two legs to roast them later. Use the rest to make bone broth.
2. Season the breast with the mix of freshly ground black pepper (omit for AIP) and Himalayan rock salt. Rub it with 1 tbsp coconut oil, finally sprinkle with some rosemary and thyme.
3. Place the breast in a pyrex roasting dish, add a splash of filtered water and put the dish into a preheated oven and roast at 175 C until it golden brown, basting with he cooking juices a few times while it roasts.
4. Break the cauliflower into small florets, halve or quarter the bigger ones. Melt 3 tbsp coconut oil.
5. Arrange the cauliflower florets on a pyrex baking tray, brush them with the melted coconut oil, season with a little salt, and roast at 175 C for about 20 to 25 mins.
6. Rinse the kale, pull the leaves off the stem, then chop roughly.
7. In a wide pan melt 2 tbsp coconut oil, add the chopped kale. Cover with a lid and cook on medium-low heat for about 5 to 6 mins, then take the lid off, add some heat and fry for 2 to 3 mins.
8. When the bird is ready take it out of the oven, let it stand for 6 to 8 mins then slice it up. Serve with the roasted cauliflower and the fried black kale. Enjoy!
Looking for some more Sunday roast ideas? Try these:
Lamb rack roast (GAPS, AIP)
Lamb shoulder roast (GAPS, AIP)
[i] For more GAPS/PALEO recipe ideas please visit my GAPS recipes selection.