Russian beetroot salad, vegan
My favourite salad of all is this Vinegret (Винегрет) salad. Best winter salad ever! I am happy to eat this salad for breakfast, for lunch, for dinner, for three days in a row without being tired of it. Beetroot, potato, sauerkraut, beans are the main ingredients. Perfect for New Year's Eve.
You will need:
6 small potatoes
4 medium beetroots
400 g sauerkraut
1 cup beans, cooked
1 medium red onions
3-4 tbsp olive oil (sunflower oil is best)
half a lemon, juiced (or vinegar if you prefer)
freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
1. Cook the pre-soaked beans. Drain, let is cool.
You can use pinto, kidney, black or azuki beans. All works fine here.
2. Cook the beetroots with skin in plenty of water till the fork goes through easily. Drain, let is cool.
3. Cook the potatoes, leave the skins on. Drain, and let it cool.
4. Cut the peeled beetroot into small cubes. Add the oil, mix to coat evenly, the add the lemon juice. Mix well and set aside.
5. Cut the peeled potatoes into cubes. Put it into a big mixing bowl.
6. Add sliced red onions (optionally, you can cut into cubes these one as well).
7. Add sauerkraut, previously squeezed out.
8. Add beans, season with black pepper. Mix gently but thoroughly.
9. Finally mix in the prepared beetroot. Done.
10. Serve right away. Keeps well in the fridge for 2-3 days. Enjoy!