Tuesday 25 November 2014

Autumn porridge

autumn_porridge
I start every single morning with a big bowl of warm, creamy porridge. I first came across with porridge about ten years ago when my colleague threw a watery oat flake mixture into the microwave. It seemed strange but when I tried it at home, I became addicted instantly. A lot has happened since that day with the porridge I make today. From the initial water-porridge (I still love the bland taste of water and oat) the list of ingredients are still growing. The variations are endless. Let me show you what I mean. Today I made a porridge (it is still vegan) with basic, not too fancy ingredients. Apple and banana are classic staple fruit for autumn, and make a fantastic porridge, which is sweet and creamy (there is NO added sugar), and smells delicious too.

Please do NOT microwave. Take the time to develop the flavour.

You will need:
porridge oats (about 4 to 5 tbsp)
1 juicy apple
1 ripe banana
1 tbsp creamed coconut
1 tbsp desiccated coconut
1-2 tbsp raisins (I used small Greek Vostizza currants)

1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, to serve

Put the porridge oat in a pan, cover with water (about an inch) and bring to boil. When it's boiling add creamed coconut and the desiccated coconut, and set to minimum so it just bubbles gently. Peel the apple and cut off chunks till you reach the core. Add the apple chunks and the soaked raisins/currants (10 mins. soaking is enough or just add them dry). Mix gently. When you have reached the desired consistency, remove from heat and add the banana slices. Cover and let it stand for 5 mins. To serve sprinkle with cinnamon. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment