Quinoa & chickpea salad with roasted Jerusalem artichoke
You will need:
3/4 cup white quinoa
1/4 cup mixed quinoa (white, red, black)
1 cup cooked chickpeas
5 Jerusalem artichokes
1 tbsp coconut oil
1/2 tsp ground cumin
2 young carrots
a handful of young spinach leaves
3 heaped tbsp sunflower seeds
3 heaped tbsp pumpkin seeds
2 tbsp hemp oil
juice of a lime
1. Wash the quinoa, drain well and put it into a pan. Add 2 cups of filtered water, bring to boil, then reduce to simmer, put a lid on and gently cook for 10 to 12 mins. Take the pan off the heat, leave the lid on, and let it stand until you prepare the rest of the salad.
2. Soak the Jerusalem artichokes for 5 min, then scrub them well. Leave the skin on, slice thinly. Arrange the thin slices on a baking tray lined with baking paper, brush with melted coconut oil, season with cumin, then bake in a preheated oven at 190 C for about 15 mins, or until lightly browned here and there.
3. Lightly toast the sunflower seeds in a dry pan. Set aside, then toast the pumpkin seeds too.
4. Peel and julienne the carrots into a large mixing bowl. Add the freshly squeezed lime juice. Mix.
5. Drain the chickpeas, and add to the bowl (I cook a big batch of chickpeas every few days, so there is always waiting some to toss into salads, enrich soups and curries, or blend into hummus).
5. Fluff up the quinoa with a fork, add to the bowl. Add the seeds. Mix.
6. Gently fold in the Jerusalem artichoke slices and the youg spinach leaves. Drizzle with hemp seeds oil. Ready to serve. Enjoy!
Quinoa goody salad
Lentil and quinoa crunchy salad
Warm chickpea and barley salad
Green chickpea salad
Lentil and chickpea salad
Warm quinoa and lentil salad
Baby spinach salad
Roasted veg couscous salad
Bean and barley salad
Warm lentil and quinoa salad
Warm lentil winter salad