Moist orange cake free from dairy, gluten, grain and oil
You will need:
2 oranges (untreated, organic only!!)
6 medium eggs
250 g ground almonds
1 tsp baking powder
2 scant tbsp xylitol
2 scant tbsp coconut palm sugar
2 tbsp maple syrup
pinch of salt
1 scant tbsp powdered xylitol, to serve
1. Scrub the oranges and cook them in gently boiling water for 2 hours. Allow to cool to room temperature.
2. Beat the eggs and sweeteners (xylitol, coconut palm sugar and maple syrup) until well combined.
3. Cut the oranges in half and take out the seeds. Add oranges to the egg mixture and puree with a hand blender.
4. Add ground almonds, baking powder and salt. Combine well.
5. Line a spring-form cake tin (I used a 20 cm / 8 in) with baking paper. Pour the batter into the prepared tin.
6. Bake in a preheated oven at 170 C for about 60 to 75 mins, until the top is golden and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
7. Allow to cool in the tin. Dust with powdered xylitol, cut into slices and serve. Enjoy!
Allergy: Nut, Egg. No gluten. No grain. No dairy. No beet or cane sugar. No yeast.
Recipe adapted: Orange and almond cake