Vegan makizushi filled with raw veggies
Making sushi at home is really fun, just like eating it. It is also very social, great fun for guests.
For the sushi rice (sushi-meshi) you will need (makes 2 x 8 rolls):
1 cup sushi rice (short grain Japanese rice)
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
2 inch konbu seaweed (kelp)
1. Wash the rice well in plenty of water, several times, until the water stays clear.
2. Put rice into a bowl and add water to cover over an inch or so. Let it soak for 30 mins.
3. Wash the rice well again. Drain well.
4. Put the rice into a pan. Add water just a little over 1 cup. Cover with a lid, and bring to boil. Reduce the heat to minimum and cook for 15 to 20 mins. Do not lift the lid!
5. Add the salt to the vinegar and bring to boil, take it off the heat, add the konbu and let it cool down.
6. Take the rice off the heat and let it rest for 15 mins with the lid on.
7. Put the rice into a mixing bowl (do not use the rice that stuck to the side or the bottom of the pan, it will impair your sushi-meshi).
8. Take the konbu out of the vinegar, and add the salty vinegar slowly to the rice (dribble onto your spatula). Gently mix together, and let it cool completely.
2 sheets of nori (black seaweed wrappers)
1 carrot, peeled, julienned
1 avocado, peeled, stoned, sliced
1/2 cucumber, peeled, julienned
1 tsp wasabi powder
coconut aminos (instead of soya sauce)
1. Place the first nori sheet (shiny side down) onto the bamboo mat (makisu).
2. Wet your fingers and place half of the rice onto the nori. With your wet fingers spread the rice, it shouldn't be evenly smooth. Leave an inch free from rice at the top.
3. Arrange the fillings: carrot, avocado, and cucumber.
4. Wet the rice-free top of the nori, and start to roll up your nori, assist with the bamboo mat. Make a tight cylinder. Gently press and roll a couple of times with the bamboo mat around the filled nori.
5. Cut the cylinder in half, then the two halves also in half and the four halves also in half, so you end up with 8 makizushi rolls.
6. Make the second roll.
7. Prepare the wasabi. Mix 1 tsp wasabi powder with 1/2 tsp warm water.
8. Serve the makizushi rolls with freshly prepared wasabi and with coconut aminos seasoning to dip into. Enjoy!
Allergy: No gluten. No soya. No fish. No sugar. No nut. No egg.