Veganised risotto with seasonal greens
You will need:
1 cup risotto rice (short grain white rice)
1 large onion
2 tbsp olive oil
200 g green asparagus
medium head broccoli (about 2 cups of broccoli florets)
2 handfuls of young broad beans
3 handfuls of wild garlic
2 tbsp ground cashew nut
2 tbsp chopped chives
For the veg broth:
1 medium onion
2 cloves of garlic
2 celery sticks
1 bay leaf
1. Prepare the veg broth: clean the veg. Cut them in half, lengthwise. Bring 1.25 l water to boil. Add the veg, halved garlic cloves, bay leaf and peppercorns. Gently simmer for 8 to 10 mins.
2. In a big bowl wash the rice well in plenty of water, several times, until the water stays clear. Drain trough a sieve and pat the bottom to draw out all the water. Let it dry for a few minutes.
3. Pop the beans out of their pods and drop them in gently boiling water. Cook for 4 to 5 mins. Drain. Rinse with cold water. Peel off the skin. Set aside.
4. Prepare the asparagus: wash and cut off the woody, fiberous white base (the lower third) and discard, peel the outer layer of the middle third, leave the tender tips (the upper third) as they are. Chop into 1 inch pieces and drop them into gently boiling water and cook for 4 to 5 mins. Drain and set aside.
5. Break broccoli into florets. Drop them into boiling water and cook for 3 to 4 mins. Drain, halve or quarter the bigger ones, then set aside.
6. Wash, drain and chop wild garlic, then set aside.
7. Finely chop the onion and soften with the olive oil until translucent.
8. Add rice and cook gently, stirring for 3 to 4 mins, until rice is well coated with the oil, and slightly whitened out.
9. Add one ladle of the gently simmering veg stock (just the liquid!). Stir the rice, let it absorb the stock, then add another ladle of hot veg broth. Keep stirring and adding, stirring and adding, one ladle at a time, until the rice is cooked to your liking. Do not rush. Take the time to cook it right.
10. Stir in the ground cashew nut, the roughly chopped wild garlic, the broad beans, the asparagus and the broccoli. Cover and let it stand for 5 mins.
11. Serve risotto into bowls and sprinkle with the chopped chives. Enjoy!
Allergy: Nut. No gluten. No dairy. No egg.
You may also like:
Wild garlic and broad bean risotto (GF, V+)