Creamy vegan sweet potato risotto with spinach
You will need:
1 cup risotto rice (short grain white rice)
1 large onion
2 tbsp olive oil
2 medium sweet potatoes
2 big handfuls of spinach leaves
2 tbsp ground cashew nut
freshly ground black pepper
For the veg stock:
1 medium onion
2 cloves of garlic
2 celery sticks
1 bay leaf
1. Prepare your veg stock: clean the veg. Cut them in half, lengthwise. Bring 1.25 l water to boil. Add the veg, halved garlic cloves, bay leaf and peppercorns. Gently simmer for 8 to 10 mins.
2. In a big bowl wash the rice well in plenty of water, several times, until the water stays clear. Drain trough a sieve and pat the bottom to draw out all the water. Let it dry for a few minutes.
3. Take the veg and spices out of the veg stock, and add diced sweet potato. Bring to boil again, reduce to simmer and gently cook for 6 to 8 mins (should be soft but still firm to hold the shape). Take them out.
4. Meanwhile, finely chop the onion and sauté with the olive oil until the onion is translucent.
5. Add rice and cook gently, stirring for 3 to 4 mins.
6. Add one ladle of the simmering veg stock (just the liquid!). Stir the rice, let it absorb the stock, then add another ladle of hot veg stock. Keep stirring and adding, stirring and adding, one ladle at a time, until the rice is cooked.
7. Stir in the ground cashew nut, the boiled sweet potatoes and the spinach leaves. Cover and let it stand for 5 to 7 mins.
8. Serve risotto into bowls and sprinkle generously with freshly ground black pepper (no pepper for kids). Enjoy!
Allergy: Nut. No gluten. No dairy. No egg.
More vegan risotto ideas:
The very VERY green risotto
Wild garlic and broad bean risotto