Filling bean and chicken dish with pearl barley
You will need (feed 2 to 4):
1/3 cup beans (I used pinto)
1/2 cup pearl barley
1 chicken breast fillets
1 large onion
1 small red onion
1+3 fat cloves of garlic
1+1 bay leaf
dried chili flakes, optional
freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp coconut oil
1. Soak the beans overnight. Rinse, then cook in plenty of water with a bay leaf and a halved garlic clove.
2. Wash the pearl barley and cook in plenty of water. Drain, rinse. Drain well.
3. Add oil to the pan and heat on medium high heat. Add finely chopped onions, stir to coat the onions with the oil, then spread the onions out evenly and let them cook to light brown, stirring occasionally.
4. Add diced chicken breast. Stir and start to brown the pieces for a few mins.
5. Add minced garlic and a bay leaf, put a lid on, turn heat to low and let it cook for 8 to 10 mins.
6. Add a glass of water, bring to boil. Add well drained beans and pearl barley. Reduce to simmer, season with black pepper, put the lid back and cook for 8 to 10 more mins.
7. Serve into bowls and sprinkle with chili flakes (if using, omit for children). Enjoy!
Allergy: Gluten. No dairy. No egg. No nuts.