Monday 25 May 2015

Balcony garden - The beginnings

balcony_garden
Grow your own - Garden on the balcony for herbs

When I was a child I did not appreciate the garden we've had. Since living without a garden I crave more and more of the fresh garden produce, to see how they grow from seed to plant, to observe their ripening, and to have the luxury to harvest them myself.

Finally, having a decent sized balcony I have decided to grow my own herbs.

I know it is way to late to start it in late May. My original plan was to sow inside in Feb-Mar then plant outside in Apr-May, but I did not want to have soil/compost in my balcony window, not with a curious toddler. I do not even have plants inside as the pots all get mouldy in a short period of time.

I have found these nice deep terracotta pots but I have miscalculated their holding capacity and ordered only one bag of 35 litre of compost instead of two. I already sowed parsley, coriander (cilantro) and rosemary (the fresh green parsley in the middle came in a pot). The rest of the herbs have to wait until the second bag of compost arrives. There is going to be thyme, mint, and dill, plus I have plans for lavender and chamomile too.

The weather is getting nice and warm outside and I hope for a quick growth.

Tips: Grow your own - Onion greens

No comments:

Post a Comment