Squirrel shaped gluten-free biscuits that are also vegan
Squirrel love nuts, right? They are absolutely nuts about nuts. Squirrel also love seeds...
The gluten-free, vegan ginger teddies got a smashing makeover, they have turned into seedy squirrel. I have added a generous tbsp chia seeds to the previous recipe. Also added a tbsp of blackstrap molasses for flavour.
You will need:
240 g flour (1 heaped tbsp tapioca, 2 heaped tbsp cassava, 3 heaped tbsp chestnut flour, rest is buckwheat)
a good pinch of Himalayan pink rock salt
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/3 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground clove
1 heaped tbsp chia seeds
1 lemon zest
80 g coconut oil, melted
2 tbsp coconut nectar + 1 tbsp maple syrup + 1 tbsp blackstrap molasses or 60 g honey
1. Combine the dry ingredients: flour mix + salt + spices + chia seeds. Add in the lemon zest.
2. Gently melt the coconut oil, add it to the spiced flour with the coconut nectar, maple syrup and molasses or use just honey for a vegetarian version.
3. Combine all, bring the dough together with your hand.
4. Line a large baking tray with baking paper, and preheat the oven to 165 C.
5. Roll the dough out to 3-4 mm and cut out the squirrels. Re-roll the dough and cut out some more.
6. Transfer the biscuits onto the lined baking tray. Gently bake them for about 15-20 mins or so.
7. Let them cool down on a rack. Share and enjoy!