A bowl of steaming cauli rice with veg and seafood
Happy Chinese New Year! 2016 is the Year of the Monkey. Ooo, eee, aaa! This lavish bowl would leave any monkey satisfied.
You will need (feeds 3 to 4 monkeys):
1 large head cauliflower
1 small head broccoli
2 medium carrots
150 g raw prawns
1 generous salmon fillet
1 red onion
a wee pinch of Himalayan rock salt
3 tbsp coconut oil
1/2 cm fresh ginger
1. Prepare the cauli rice: break the cauliflower into small florets and chop them in a blander fitted with an S-blade (in 2 or 3 batches preferably) for a few seconds until grain-like.
2. Melt 1 tbsp coconut oil in a wide pan, add the cauli rice and toss with two wooden spatulas for a few seconds, then cover with a lid and let it steam, cook on low heat for 8 to 10 mins. Toss again and cook for further 3 to 4 mins.
3. While the cauli rice is cooking, prepare the veg: break the broccoli into florets, halve the bigger ones, then steam them for 5 to 6 mins.
4. Peel the carrots and use a julienne peeler to cut into long strips. Melt 1 tbsp coconut oil in a pan, add the carrots, toss to cover evenly with the oil, then cover with a lid and let it cook on low heat for 4 to 5 mins.
5. Prepare the fish and prawns. Poach the salmon. Cook the raw prawns in boiling water for 3 to 4 mins. Drain well, use a paper towel if needed.
6. Melt the remaining tbsp coconut oil in a pan on medium-high heat, add the cooked prawns and fry for 20 to 30 seconds on each side.
7. Put the cauli rice in a mixing bowl, add the softened carrot julienne, the salmon (broken into pieces), the fried prawns, the steamed broccoli, the thinly sliced red onion, the avocado slices and the thinly sliced fresh ginger. Season with a bit of Himalatan rock salt. Gently mix together. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Tip: Use coconut aminos (soy substitute) or fish sauce to add more Asian flavours to your bowl. Feel free to add egg as well.
[i] For more GAPS recipe ideas please visit my GAPS recipes selection.