Friday 5 February 2016

Coconut caulidge (GAPS, PALEO, AIP, V+)

coconut_caulidge_GAPS_AIP
No-grain breakfast porridge

I miss porridge, terribly. Prior to GAPS I was enjoying vegan meals for over two years, and it made me an even more faithful porridge devotee. I was eating porridge 360 days a year and I did not get bored. I adored my hot, steaming porridge, now I miss it so much that I stared to dream about it in my sleep. To ease my misery I have made my first bowl of cauliflower porridge and I must say that I am impressed! It tastes very nutty, surprisingly.

You will need (feeds 2 to 3):
1 large cauliflower head
4 medjool dates, soaked overnight
4 tbsp creamed coconut (coconut butter)
4 heaped tbsp desiccated coconut
a splash of water
a good pinch of ground cinnamon, optional
a good pinch of Himalayan rock salt

coconut chips and few fresh berries, to serve

1. Soak the medjool dates, drain the next morning, remove the stones and the loosened skin, and blend into a paste with 3 to 4 tbsp soaking liquid. Set aside.
2. Lightly toast the coconut chips in a dry pan over low heat. Set aside.
3. Rinse and break the cauliflower into florets and put them in a blender fitted with the S-blade. Pulse for a few seconds until becomes coarse, grain-like.
4. Put the chopped cauliflower in a wide pan or pot, add the creamed coconut, the desiccated coconut, and a splash of water. Bring to boil, then reduce the heat to minimum, cover with a lid and gently cook for 15 mins, undisturbed.
5. Add the sweet date paste, season with salt and cinnamon (if using), and cook for further 3 to 4 mins.
6. Serve the hot cauli porridge into bowls. Decorate with the lightly toasted coconut chips and few fresh berries. Enjoy!

[i] For more GAPS recipe ideas please visit my GAPS recipes selection.

No comments:

Post a Comment