Mushrooms and garden veg stewed nicely together
You will need (feeds 4):
4 large onions
4 tbsp coconut oil
2 garlic cloves
1 cm fresh ginger
0.5 cm fresh turmeric
3 ladles of bone broth*
250 g young chestnut mushrooms
4 medium carrots
200 g green peas, fresh or frozen
pinch of Himalayan rock salt
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 tbsp ghee
1/3 tsp ground turmeric
1. Peel then halve the onions, and slice them thinly.
2. Melt the coconut oil, add the thin onion slices and on a medium-low heat sweat the onions for 15 to 20 mins, stirring occasionally, until soft.
3. Add the thinly sliced garlic, ginger and turmeric. Fry for a minute or two, until aromas are released.
4. Add 1 ladle of broth, bring to boil, cook for a minute or two, then transfer the soft onions into a tall glass container, immerse a hand blender, and blend until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
5. Peel the carrots and dice them into pea-sized pieces.
6. Bring the remaining 2 ladles of bone broth to boil, add the diced carrots and the green peas, cover with a lid, and on medium-low heat cook for 5 mins.
7. Rinse the mushrooms and slice them thinly, and add to the carrots and peas. Put the lid back and gently simmer for 10 to 12 mins.
8. Add back the onion sauce, bring to boil again, season with salt, black pepper, ground turmeric and gee. Gently simmer for 5 more mins.
9. Serve hot with with roasted veg or veg puree. Enjoy!
* For a VEGAN version use veg stock instead of bone broth, and omit the ghee.
[i] For more GAPS recipe ideas please visit my GAPS recipes selection.