Kale salad with gently fried chorizo and leek
You will need:
6 large curly kale leaves
1 tbsp coconut oil
around 10-12 cm (4 to 5 inches) of chorizo (no preservatives, no nasties!)*
3 tbsp olive oil
juice of 1/2 lime
1. Pull the curly leaves off the stem, tear the leaves into smaller pieces. You can chop them if you like but I find it quicker to tear them apart.
2. Steam the kale for 10 to 12 mins.
3. Meanwhile, peel off the skin of the chorizo, then quarter lengthwise and slice 2 to 3 cm thick.
4. Heat a pan, add the chorizo pieces and fry on low heat for about 4 to 5 mins, stirring once or twice, until they get some colour and release some fat.
5. Transfer the chorizo onto a plate lined with paper towel. Set aside.
6. Wipe the pan clean with another paper towel, add the coconut oil and the sliced leek. Fry for 3 to 4 mins, until aroma is released.
7. Put the warm kale in a mixing bowl, gently fold in the leek and the chorizo. Season with the lime juice, drizzle with olive oil. Serve warm with patties. Enjoy!
*Unearthed Chorizo de Leon INGREDIENTS: Pork, Paprika (2%), Salt, Garlic. Naturally smoked with oak wood it in a traditional way.
For the beef patties you will need:
400 g minced beef
1 medium egg
1 large onion
2 garlic cloves
a small bunch of flat leaf parsley
2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
freshly ground black pepper
a good pinch of Himalayan rock salt
pinch of ground turmeric
3 tbsp coconut oil
1. Put the roughly chopped onions, garlic, parley, thyme and egg in a chopper or blender and blend until paste-like.
2. Put the beef mince into a mixing bowl, add the onion paste, season with black pepper, turmeric and salt.
3. Use a tbsp to measure out equal amounts, 1 heaped tbsp for example, then shape the meat paste into small flat cake.
4. Heat 1 tbsp coconut oil and add your first batch of patties. Cook each side until the colour is golden. Wipe the pan clean. With each batch add 1 tbsp of coconut oil. I have managed in 3 batches.
5. Serve with the warm kale salad. Enjoy!
[i] For more GAPS recipe ideas please visit my GAPS recipes selection.