Coconut infused vanilla custard and meringue
A childhood favorite with a good coco twist. No sugar, and no dairy this time!
You will need (serves 3 to 4):
200 g creamed coconut
450 ml water
2 large eggs
1 tsp ground vanilla
2 tbsp desiccated coconut
1 + 1 tbsp honey
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1. Put the desiccated coconut into a blender and pulse for a few seconds.
2. Separate the eggs. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Dribble in 1 tbsp honey. Continue to whisk. When the meringue is thick gently fold in the coconut.
3. Bring the water to boil, add the creamed coconut (remove separated pure fat, save for cooking, just use the creamy paste now). Stir to dissolve. Add the ground vanilla and bring to a simmer over a low heat.
4. Using a tablespoon shape meringue into dumplings and gently place into the coconut milk. Cook over VERY LOW heat for about 2 to 3 mins each side.
5. With a slotted spoon transfer cooked meringue dumplings to a plate. Pour the coconut milk through a sieve.
6. Whisk the egg yolks and 1 tbsp honey together until pale and fluffy.
7. Add warm coconut milk to the sweetened egg yolks, mix well, then cook on VERY LOW heat for about 3 mins until smooth and slightly thickened. Take it off the heat. By stirring continuously let it cool down a little.
8. Pour the coconut custard into serving bowls and place them into the refrigerator until serving, half an hour at least.
9. To serve: Float a meringue dumpling on top of each serving bowl, and sprinkle with ground cinnamon. Enjoy!
[i] For more GAPS recipe ideas please visit my GAPS recipes selection.