Summer squeezed into a bowl
Warm your bones and soul with this rich and creamy soup based on roasted red vegetables.
You will need (serves 2 to 4):
4 pointed sweet red peppers
1 plump red pepper
2 handfuls of sweet sherry tomatoes
1 cm fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves
3 cups chicken bone broth
1 generous tbsp duck fat / or ghee / or coconut oil
freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
1. Place peppers and tomatoes on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Place the tray in a preheated oven and bake for 25 to 30 mins at 180 C, until the skin of the peppers becomes lightly brown and the flesh soft. Take the tray out of the oven and let the veg cool for 5 to 7 mins.
3. Stir in the minced garlic and the fresh ginger and cook for a minute or two until aromas are released.
4. Pour in the chicken bone broth and bring to gentle boil.
5. Peel off the skin of the peppers and deseed them. Put the pepper flesh into the soup. Add the roasted tomatoes too. Gently simmer for 5 mins.
6. Season with freshly ground black pepper and fresh thyme leaves. Immerse a hand blender and blend the soup until smooth.
7. Serve into bowls. For extra heat sprinkle with chili flakes. Enjoy!
Tips: Push the roasted tomatoes through a sieve if you do not want the seeds in your soup, and you want it to be extra smooth. To make the soup VEGAN, use home-made veg stock and coconut oil.
[i] For more GAPS recipe ideas please visit my GAPS recipes selection.