Sweet little coconut and almond bites
These sweet coconutties are crumbly and chewy at the same time. Tasty little bite sized treats that you can take to school, to work, to a relaxing autumn stroll carpeted with yellow leaves, or enjoy at home with a nice cup of hot ginger tea as a snack between meals or as a treat after meals.
You will need (makes a tray full of coconutties):
1 cup desiccated coconut
1 cup ground almonds
2 medium-large egg whites
4 medjool dates
pinch of cinnamon
pinch of Himalayan rock salt
1. Soak the dates for about 2 to 3 hours. Take the stones out and peel off the skin (it will loosen up). Reserve some soaking liquid.
2. Put the desiccated coconut and the ground almonds into a blender and blend for a few second until the texture softer and the two ingredients are nicely blended. Season with cinnamon and salt.
3. Beat the egg whites until soft peaks are formed. Gently fold in the coconut and almond mix.
4. Mash the dates with a fork, add 2 tbsp of soaking liquid if needed. Is shouldn't be paste like, a bit of lumpy is what we need. Gently fold in the dates into the egg mixture.
5. Use a tablespoon and place mounds of sweet mix onto a baking tray lined with baking paper and bake in a preheated oven at 150 C for about 25 to 30 min, until the spikes are turned golden brown.
6. Place them on a wire rack and let them cool down completely. Enjoy!
[i] For more GAPS recipe ideas please visit my GAPS recipes selection.