Tender chicken breast pieces with minted avocado dip
Last squeeze of the summer flavours: light grilling, some seasoning, and a hint of fresh mint. Effortless feast with a bit of simple preparations.
You will need (makes 5 skewers):
2 chicken breast fillets
6 young courgettes
2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
For the marinade:
juice of 1 lime
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp coconut aminos
1/4 tsp mustard powder
pinch of ground cinnamon
a good pinch of ground turmeric
2 garlic cloves, crushed into a paste
1 cm fresh ginger, crushed into a paste
2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
pinch of Himalayan rock salt
2 small onions
For the minted avocado dip:
2 medium avocados
1 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp olive oil
8 to 10 fresh mint leaves
1. Prepare the marinade: Cut the onions into wedges and the chicken breasts into strips. Mix the marinade ingredients in a glass bowl. Add the onions and the chicken pieces. Mix thoroughly. Cover and place the bowl into the refrigerator to marinate overnight.
2. Soak the bamboo skewers in water, then thread the marinated chicken pieces and the onion wedges between them onto the skewers (5 or 6 chicken pieces per skewer).
3. Brush the chicken skewers with melted coconut oil and grill in a cast iron grill skillet, turning after one side has nicely browned.
4. Cut the courgettes in half lengthwise, brush with melted coconut oil and grill on both sides.
5. Prepare the minted avocado dip: Cut the avocados in half, discard the seeds, scoop out the flesh and put it into a tall glass container, add the remaining ingredients then cream it with a hand blender.
6. To serve: Spread 2 tbsp dip on the plate, place a skewer on top. Serve with the grilled courgettes and extra dip. Enjoy!
[i] For more GAPS recipe ideas please visit my GAPS recipes selection.