No-grain muffins sweetened only with fruit
We have baked these grain-free muffins to keep us safe from sudden cravings on a weekend boat trip. They are perfect on the go, lovely for lunch boxes, even for breakfast if you fancy something sweet in the morning. The naturally dried apricots give the muffins a nice maple flavour.
You will need (makes 10 medium muffins):
150 g cashew nuts
65 g coconut oil
8 dried apricots (natural, sulfur dioxide E220-free)
2 medium eggs
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
juice of 1/4 lemon
2 tbsp ground almond
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1. Soak the cashew nuts in filtered water for 24 hours (12 hours is a must).
2. Soak the naturally dried apricots in filtered water for 2 hours.
3. Rinse the cashews in fresh water a couple of times, then put them in a sieve and let the extra water to drip. Cream the well drained cashew nuts (now 220 g) it in a blender.
4. Take the apricots out of the water (keep the soaking liquid). The skin loosens, so just take them off. Put the skinless apricots in a tall glass container, add 4 tbsp of soaking liquid and cream with a hand blender.
5. Add the egg and blend together for 20 to 25 seconds.
6. Put the creamed cashew nuts in a mixing bowl, add the apricot and egg mixture and combine well.
7. Add the melted coconut oil, mix thoroughly.
8. Mix in the bicarbonate of soda, the lemon juice.
9. Mix the ground almonds with the cinnamon.
10. Scoop the muffin batter into cups, and sprinkle each with the almond-cinnamon mix.
11. Bake in a preheated oven at 170 C for about 25 to 30 mins.
12. Let them cool completely on a wire rack. Share and enjoy!
Allergy: Nut, Egg, Citrus. No gluten. No dairy. No grain. No sugar. Vegetarian.
[i] For more GAPS recipe ideas please visit my GAPS recipes selection.