Juicy, soft beef pieces with carrot slices in rich juice
It is official, the autumn is here. Warm your bones up with this rich beef stew, cooked slowly for a full-flavoured feast.
You will need (feeds 4):
500 g stewing beef, cubed
850 g carrots
2 large onions
3 garlic cloves
1 cm fresh ginger root
1/2 cm fresh turmeric root
a good pinch of Himalayan rock salt
freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp ghee
2 cup beef bone froth
fresh thyme and parsley leaves, to serve
1. Melt the ghee, add the finely diced onions. Cook on medium heat for 4 to 5 mins.
2. Add the finely chopped garlic, ginger and turmeric. Cook for 3 to 4 mins, until aromas are released.
3. Add the cubed beef. Stir to coat the beef with the fragrant onion base. Put a lid on and let it braise for 8 to 10 mins.
4. Add the bone broth, put the lid back and cook on low heat for 40 mins.
5. Peel the carrots and slice them. Do not slice them too thinly we do not want them to collapse and melt away during cooking. You can have chunks if you like but it will increase the cooking time. I sliced them to 2 to 3 mm thick.
6. Add the sliced carrots, put back the lid and cook on low heat for further 20 to 25 mins until the carrots are soft but still holding their shape well.
7. Season with a little salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
8. Serve hot. Sprinkle generously with fresh thyme and chopped parsley leaves. Enjoy!
[i] For more GAPS recipe ideas please visit my GAPS recipes selection.