GAPS-legal spaghetti bolognese
You will need (serves 4):
500 g minced beef
2 medium onions
2 + 1 tbsp duck fat
1 tbsp tomato puree (single ingredient)
2 or 3 ladles of beef bone broth
a good pinch Himalayan rock salt
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 tsp dried basil and oregano (optional)
fresh thyme leaves, to serve
1. Melt 2 tbsp fat, add the thinly sliced onions and cook on medium heat for 3 to 4 mins until aroma is released.
2. Add the minced beef, stir until the bright colour of the meat fades. Stirring helps it cook evenly and prevents clumping.
3. Season with the single ingredient tomato puree, and add basil and oregano now, if using. Add the bone broth.
4. Cover with a lid and gently cook on low heat for about 35 to 45 mins.
5. Peel the courgettes and julienne them. Melt the remaining 1 tbsp fat in a thick bottomed, wide, stainless steel pan. Add the julienned courgettes and a splash of bone broth. Cover with a lid and cook on medium heat for 2 to 3 mins, until the courgette slightly softens.
6. Season the meat sauce with Himalayan salt and freshly ground black pepper.
7. To serve: Pile some courgette spaghetti into a bowl, top with the meat sauce, and sprinkle with fresh thyme leaves. Enjoy!
Allergy: Nightshade. No gluten. No grain. No dairy. No egg. No nut. No soya. No sugar. PALEO
[i] For more GAPS recipe ideas please visit my GAPS recipes selection.