Sabina's gluten-free, vegan star biscuits re-born as teddies
I have a new friend. She is as thoughtful about her food and as devoted to eating better as I am. On top of all that, she is a dessert goddess. My spooncakes made her heart beat faster and her crunchy star shaped biscuits swept me off my feet. We exchanged the recipes, which I am very grateful for, thank you Sabina, and here is my take on her crunchy, no-gluten, vegan biscuit.
Since Christmas was on its way, I have used one of my teddy bear cutters, poked a hole at the top (the blunt end of a bamboo skewer is perfect for this) so they can go on the Christmas tree as decoration, and gifted some as well (arranged few in a nice jar with a decorative lid). The Ginger Teddies keep well in an air tight glass container. They do not fall apart, perfect for dunking into festive Hot Chocolate or Golden Milk.
You will need (makes two trays):
240 g flour (1 heaped tbsp tapioca, 2 heaped tbsp cassava, 3 heaped tbsp chestnut flour, rest in buckwheat)
a good pinch of Himalayan pink rock salt
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/3 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground clove
1 lemon zest
80 g coconut oil
60 g honey or 2 generous tbsp coconut nectar + 3 tbsp maple syrup
1. Combine the dry ingredients: flour mix + salt + spices. Add the lemon zest.
2. Gently melt the coconut oil, add it to the spiced flour with the coconut nectar and maple syrup.
3. Combine all, bring the dough together with your hand.
4. Line a large baking tray with baking paper, and preheat the oven to 165 C.
5. Roll the dough out to 3-4 mm and cut out the shape you prefer. Re-roll the dough and cut out some more shapes.
6. Transfer the biscuits onto the lined baking tray and bake for about 15-20 mins or so.
7. Let them cool down on a rack. Decorate or just thread a ribbon or a red yarn into the holes and they are ready to go on the Christmas tree.
Tip: Watch out, they may be disappearing from the tree faster than you expected. These edible Christmas decorations are perfect as a gift for friends and family. Put them in a jar lined with tissue paper.