Juicy roasted venison with three kinds of salad (all VEGAN)
You will need (serves 3 to 4):
1 medium venison hock (wild, local)
1 small rosemary sprig
1 sprig fresh oregano
2 large fresh sage leaves
1 daikon radish
2 small bunched beetroots
1 medium red onion
4 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
good pinch of Himalayan rock salt
2 ridge cucumbers OR 1 long cucumber alternatively
1/4 cup onion greens, finely chopped
2 cups lettuce, roughly chopped
4 tbsp olive oil
Leek and chard cooked salad:
200 g rainbow chard
2 tbsp coconut oil
1. Put the venison hock in an oval pyrex (with a lid), add 1/2 glass of filtered water, season with the fresh herbs: rosemary, oregano, sage. Cover with the lid and put the dish into a preheated oven and roast on 200 C for 20 mins, then reduce the temperature to 165 C and roast for about an 1 hour and a half. Take the roasted venison out of the oven and let it rest for 8 to 10 mins.
While the meat is resting prepare the salads. Start with the two raw ones.
2. Pink salad: Peel and julienne the daikon radish, put it in a mixing bowl. Peel and julienne the beetroots, add to the radish. Peel and thinly slice the red onion, add to the veg. Season with little salt, apple cider vinegar and drizzle with olive oil. Mix thoroughly.
3. Green salad: Peel and julienne the two cucumbers. Transfer to a mixing bowl. Finely chop the onion greens, add to the cucumbers. Rinse and roughly chop the lettuce, add to the cucumbers. Drizzle with olive oil. Mix thoroughly.
4. Leek and chard salad: Rinse the leeks and slice. Rinse the chard leaves and roughly chop. In a large pan melt the coconut oil, add the sliced leeks, cook on medium heat tossing with two wooden spatulas until lightly browned. Add the chopped chard, toss for a minute or two, then cover with a lid and let it soften on low heat for about 3 to 4 mins.
5. Divide the salads between plates and add the juicy venison. Enjoy!