no-rice maki rolls filled with colour and flavour
Petite finger food, fun starter, satisfying snack, inviting party food. Choose and mix-and-match your fillings for colour and flavour. Makizushi filled with carrot and cucumber, spinach and avocado, tuna and celery.
You will need (makes 24 maki rolls):
3 sheets of nori (seaweed wrappers)
1 small head cauliflower
2 scant tbsp coconut oil
1 young carrot, peeled, julienned
1 ridge cucumber, peeled, julienned
1 avocado, peeled, stoned, sliced
handful of young spinach leaves, rinsed, well drained
80-100 g tuna (in spring water), drained
1/2 celery stick
coconut aminos, to serve
1. Prepare the pRICEless suchi rice: rinse and break the cauliflower into small florets and chop them in a blender fitted with an S-blade for a few seconds until grain-like (in 2 batches preferably for more even sized crumbs).
2. In a wide pan melt the coconut oil, add the cauli rice, stir to combine, cover with a lid and soften for 3 to 4 mins. Take the lid off and gently cook on low heat uncovered for 2 more mins.
3. Take the pan off the heat and let the cauli rice cool down.
4. While the suchi rice is resting prepare the fillings: peel and julienne the carrot and the cucumber, rinse the spinach leaves and drain well, cut the avocado in half, remove the stone, peel and slice, drain the tuna, julienne the celery stick.
5. Place the first nori sheet (shiny side down) onto the bamboo mat (makisu).
6. Place 1/3 of the cauli rice onto the nori. With your fingers spread the rice, do not worry if it isn't evenly smooth. Leave an inch free from rice at the top.
7. Arrange the fillings: julienned carrot and cucumber.
8. Wet the rice-free top of the nori, and start to roll up your nori (bottom up), assist with the bamboo mat. Make a tight cylinder. Gently press and roll a couple of times with the bamboo mat around the filled nori.
9. Unwrap, then cut the cylinder in half, then the two halves also in half and the four halves also in halfs, so you end up with 8 makizushi rolls. Transfer to a plate.
10. Make the second roll. Fill with spinach leaves and sliced avocado. Roll and slice. Transfer to a plate.
11. Make the third roll. Fill with tuna and julienned celery. Roll and slice. Transfer to a plate.
12. Serve the pRICEless makizushi with coconut aminos to dip. Share and enjoy!
Tip: Replace the tuna with julienned daikon radish to make full VEGAN rolls.