Simple, four-ingredient side dish to compliment any meat
You will need (serves 4):
2 medium kohlrabi
350 to 400 g black kale (cavolo nero)
around 60 g raw pork fat
1 large onion
1. Rinse the cavolo nero and pull the leaves off the stem (discard), then finely chop. Rinse the kohlrabi, peel, then dice. Thinly slice the pork fat. Peel and thinly slice the onion.
2. In a large pan fry the pork fat on low heat until most of the fat is released.
3. Add the thinly sliced onions and the diced kohlrabi, toss with two wooden spatulas to coat them with the fat. Cook on medium-low heat for about 8 to 10 mins, gently shake the pan occasionally.
4. Add the finely chopped kale, toss to combine, the add a wee splash of filtered water. Cover with a lid and gently cook/steam for about 6 to 8 more mins.
5. Serve hot, warm or cold with any fish, poultry or red meat. Enjoy!
More SIMPLE SIDE ideas:
Sweet potato mash
Pan fried courgettes