Humble main meal - no fuss, only great flavours
You will need (feeds 2 to 3):
400 g chicken liver
80 g raw pork fat (not the rendered lard)
a good pinch of fine Himalayan rock salt, optional
200 g young spinach
1 medium head cauliflower
1 medium head broccoli
1. Cut the pork fat into thin slices. Rinse and clean the chicken liver, drain well, cut each into 3 pieces (leave the small half intact and halve the bigger one).
2. Heat a pot or pan, add half of the sliced pork fat and gently cook on low heat until most of the fats are rendered.
3. Add the prepared liver, stir for a few minutes to combine with the pork fat and until the fresh meaty colour turns into pale brown. Add a wee splash of water, cover with a lid and gently cook on low heat for about 30 mins.
4. Rinse the veg. Break the cauliflower and the broccoli into florets. Halve or quarter the florets.
5. In a pan melt the remaining sliced pork fat (gently for about 3 to 4 mins), add the prepared cauliflower and toss for 3 to 4 mins until you see some colour on the veg.
6. Add the prepared broccoli, toss for a minute or two, then add a wee splash of water, cover with a lid and gently cook for 5 to 7 mins.
7. Add the rinsed, well drained spinach leaves, put the lid back and cook for further 2 to 3 mins, just until the spinach softens.
8. Sprinkle the liver with some salt (if using), shake the pan do not stir to not to break the liver pieces. Serve the liver onto plates and garnish with the cooked veg. Enjoy!