Juicy chicken pieces in a pineapple-celery broth
You will need (feeds 3 to 4 people):
6 drumsticks, with skin and bones
1 large onion
2 garlic cloves
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp finely chopped fresh ginger
1 small pineapple
2 or 3 celery sticks
pinch of ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/3 tsp dried rosemary
1 generous tbsp lard or coconut oil
1. Thinly slice the onion and gently cook in the fat of your choice on medium-low heat just until starts to lightly colour here and there.
2. Add the chicken drumsticks and brown on medium-high heat, turning so they get evenly browned on all sides.
3. When the meat is nicely browned add the finely chopped garlic and the fresh ginger.
4. Stir in the bay leaf, season with the thyme, rosemary and cinnamon.
5. Add a good splash of water and bring it to the boil. Reduce the heat to minimum, cover with a lid and gently cook for 15 to 20 mins.
6. Clean the pineapple: chop off the top and bottom and slice off the skin on the sides. Quarter the flesh and discard the tough core, then slice up the juicy flesh. Slice the celery sticks.
7. When the meat is well infused with the spices add the celery and pineapple, shake the pan to distribute, add a wee splash of water if needed, cover with the lid again and gently cook on the lowest setting for 35 to 45 mins. or until the bones can be easily twisted out of the meat. It should be super soft and juicy and tasting sweet(ish) and sour(ish) at the same time.
Serve with cauli rice or mash or roasted cauliflower or sweet potato mash. Enjoy!