Egg-free meatball soup with minted venison and carrots
You will need:
500 g venison mince
1 very large onion (or two medium onions)
4 wet garlic cloves
small bunch of parsley
8-10 fresh mint leaves
1/2 tsp ground caraway seed
pinch freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp ground linseed
1/2 tsp ground chia seed
4 young carrots (bunched)
1 celery stick
3 black peppercorns
1 bay leaf
fresh dill and young mint leaves, to serve
1. Mix the ground linseed and chia, and add 1 tbsp water, mix and let it stand for 5 to 10 mins.
2. Put roughly chopped onions, garlic, parsley and mint leaves into a chopper and chop them finely.
3. Put minced venison meat into a mixing bowl, add finely chopped onion, season with ground caraway and black pepper, mix, then add linseed and chia jelly (as your egg replacer). Mix thoroughly. Let it rest for 5 to 10 mins.
4. With the help of a table spoon, measure out 1 scant tbsp of meat mince, form into ball, use up all the meat.
5. In a stock pot bring 2.5 l of water to boil. Reduce to gentle simmer, then add meatballs one by one. After a few minutes the meatballs will rise to the top, skim off foam (if any), season with bay leaf, black peppercorns, celery (broken in half), and gently cook for 15 mins.
6. Peel the carrots and slice them up, then add to the soup and cook for further 10 to 15 mins.
7. When the carrot slices are cooked, discard the celery, and serve the soup in plates, sprinkle generously with fresh dill and young mint leaves. Enjoy!
[i] For more GAPS recipe ideas please visit my GAPS recipes selection.