Courgette and blueberry baked into a sweet crustless pie
I call them courberry slices. The main ingredients are courgettes and blueberries. Courgette and blueberry in a sweet pie? you would ask. Believe me, a match made in heaven. The courberry slices are not only gluten- and grain-free but made without dairy and nuts, and there is not a gram of processed sugar of course.
You will need:
500 g courgettes (5 young courgettes) = measured when ends cut off and peeled
1 tbsp coconut oil
50 ml lemon juice (juice of a medium lemon )
4 medjool dates
50 g coconut flour
1 tbsp linseed (flaxseed)
1 scant tbsp baking soda (sodium bicarbonate / bicarbonate of soda)
1 tsp lemon peel
1 tsp ground vanilla
pinch of Himalayan rock salt
125 g frozen blueberries
2. Soak the dates in warm water for about 25 to 30 mins. Take them out, remove the stones, then put the date flesh into a blender, add 2 tbsp soaking water and blend until smooth and puree-like.
3. Add the eggs to the date puree and blend until well incorporated.
4. Grind the linseed in the coffee grinder into a fine powder.
5. Put the roughly ground vanilla in a mortar and grind into a fine powder.
6. Mix the dry ingredients: coconut flour, ground linseed, baking soda, salt, lemon peel, ground vanilla. Mix thoroughly.
7. Puree the well drained courgettes, stir in the sweetened eggs. Incorporate the dry ingredients, finally mix in the coconut oil and the lemon juice.
8. Line a loose bottom deep square baking tin with baking paper. Pour in the batter. Scatter the frozen blueberries on top, and gently press them into the batter.
9. Place the baking tin into a preheated oven and bake at 160 C for about 35 to 45 mins, until the top gets a light golden colour.
10. Loosen the base of the tin, and let the cake cool down completely. Chill in the fridge before cutting into slices. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Troll a konyhámban
Tips: Courberry slices not only delicious for dessert, they are a great breakfast item too, can be made ahead, stored in the fridge and reheated in the oven. You can bake the cake in a round tin, and slice it up cake-like, drizzle with honey and serve with coconut whipped cream.
[i] For more GAPS recipe ideas please visit my GAPS recipes selection.