Little thin almond rectangles topped with flaked almonds
Fancy something sweet and crispy? Thy these thin almond biscuits. Pure delight.
You will need (fills a baking tray):
3 tbsp whole almond butter
1 tbsp coconut oil
2 egg whites
4 medjool dates
6 generous tbsp ground almonds
a good pinch of ground cinnamon
about 1/4 cup flaked almonds (blanched almond slices)
1. Put the ground almonds into a blender and pulse for 10 to 15 second, then transfer to a mixing bowl.
2. Soak the dates in warm water for 2 to 3 hours. Then take them out (reserve some soaking liquid), pit them and blend with 2 tbsp soaking liquid until smooth. This is going to be the sweetener in this light dessert.
3. Add the whole almond butter and the egg whites to the date paste and blend until smooth. Mix in the coconut oil too.
4. Season the ground almonds with the ground cinnamon, then add the sweetened egg mixture. Stir to combine.
5. Cover the dough and put the bowl into the refrigerator to chill for 30 mins.
6. Shape the dough into a ball, place it on a baking paper, flatten a little, then cover with another baking paper, and roll the dough between the two baking papers to a thickness of 2 to 2.5 mm.
7. Gently peel off the top baking paper, sprinkle the rolled out dough with the flaked almonds, cover again with the baking paper and gently roll a few times. Discard the top baking paper.
8. With a sharp knife cut up the thin dough into rectangles, by pressing the knife's edge to make incisions. This step will help you to keep the baked crackers in shapes.
9. Slide the baking paper onto a baking tray and place it in a preheated oven and bake on 150 C for about 15 to 20 mins, until the edges start to turn golden. Carefully brake off the edges and put the baking tray back for 5 more mins.
10. Let the crackers cool down on a wire rack completely. Share and enjoy!
[i] For more GAPS recipe ideas please visit my GAPS recipes selection.