Tomatoes stuffed with meat and roasted in the oven
You will need:
200 g minced meat of your choice: beef, lamb, venison, chicken
2 fat garlic cloves
2 tbsp ghee
a good pinch of Himalayan rock salt
3 black peppercorns
1 medium onion
1 young leek
1 tbsp ground cumin
pinch of ground cinnamon
4 firm tomatoes
1. In a wide pan melt the ghee. Add the minced meat and cook for 3 to 4 mins on high heat, stirring occasionally.
2. Add very finely sliced leek and onion. Fry for a minute or two.
3. Add finely chopped garlic, cumin and cinnamon, a splash of water, cover with a lid, and cook for 5 mins on medium-low heat.
4. Put browned meat in a mixing bowl. Let it cool from hot to just warm.
5. Add lightly beaten egg, crushed black pepper, salt, and mix thoroughly.
6. Wash the tomatoes, cut off the top, scrape out the seeds and flesh, and fill with the meat mix, and place back the "lid".
7. Arrange the tomatoes in an oven-proof dish, then put the dish in a preheated oven and roast the stuffed tomatoes at 180 C for about 20 to 25 mins.
8. Serve warm or cold. These tomatoes are impressive and very tasty appetizers. Enjoy!
Tips: Use a bit of chili for fiery taste. Serve tomatoes with salads as a main dish.
[i] For more GAPS recipe ideas please visit my GAPS recipes selection.