Graffiti aubergines and yellow baby plum tomatoes are the stars in these gorgeous little antipasti. Perfect for parties.
You will need:
2 young aubergines
6 baby plum tomatoes
1 medium onion
2 garlic cloves
3 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp tomato puree*
some Himalayan rock salt
some Cheddar cheese
fresh thyme sprigs (about 2 tbsp of leaves)
1. Slice the aubergines into 5 mm thick slices. Sprinkle each disk with finely crushed Himalayan rock salt. Stack them up in two towers, this way both side get contact with the salt. Let them stand for 20 to 30 mins to soften and draw out the juice.
2. Rinse the aubergine slices and dry them with a kitchen towel.
3. Arrange dried aubergine slices on a baking tray (I have used a glass tray so there was no need for baking paper, but if you are using a metal one, line it), and lightly brush each with the melted coconut oil.
4. Place the tray in a preheated oven and bake for 20 to 25 mins at 170 C.
5. Meanwhile, finely chop the onion and the remaining tips of the aubergines.
6. In a small sauce pan heat the coconut oil, add the onion and cook for 5 mins, stirring occasionally.
7. Add the chopped aubergine ends. Cook for further 5 mins.
8. Add minced garlic, tomato puree, about 1 tbsp of fresh thyme leaves, and a splash of water. Bring to boil, then gently cook for 3 to 4 mins stirring all the time so it won't splutter.
9. Pour tomato base in a tall glass container and blend with a hand blender (you can leave it chunky if you like).
10. Take the aubergine slices out from the oven, spread tomato base on top. Decorate with lovely sweet yellow plum tomato slices. Sprinkle the remaining tbsp fresh thyme leaves on top of the slices. Finally lightly sprinkle with finely grated Cheddar cheese.
11. Put the tray back into the hot oven, now under the grill for 6 to 8 mins.
12. Serve hot, share and enjoy!
Allergy: Dairy. Nightshades. No egg. No nut. No gluten. No grain. Vegetarian.
*Biona Organic Tomato Puree Ingredients: Organic Tomatoes.
Made from organic tomatoes. Nothing else.
[i] For more GAPS recipe ideas please visit my GAPS recipes selection.